See GMC Archives
Long Trail News and Long Trail Guides.
Saturday June 14, 2014 GMC Annual Meeting
Reidun provided these two photos and the information below:
GMC annual meeting in Killington. The Mountain Meadows Lodge was the perfect venue. It is situated on Kent Pond (with kayaks and canoes for loan), and the AT/LT crosses the property. (There is one sign pointing to Springer Mountain and another to provisions for sale, ten minutes away.)
- Ken, Mike, Lexi, Michael Chernick, Andrew, and I were there from the Montpelier Section. (Vice President John Page is a section member, although not an active one.)
- Doris Washburn received the President's Award. From the lengthy citation read by President Jean Haigh it was clear how cherished she is by all, especially the club staff, whom she sees every Thursday when she is a regular volunteer.
- I gave the required brief report (with four slides) for the Montpelier Section, mentioning YAC, outings, trail work, and our outreach at the Farmers Market.
- Ken and I chose the Thundering Falls hike in the afternoon. The board walk that was damaged by Tropical Storm Irene has been rebuilt, but the Falls were not exactly thundering as much of the water is used for hydro power.
- The last two years, the annual meeting has been held in the south, and in 2015 it will be held in the northern half of the state. The Montpelier Section has been mentioned as a possible host or-co-host. Stay tuned.
- I caught Dave Hardy's ear, and was told that the work on the LT relocation in Smugglers' Notch may now happen in July. We have naturally volunteered to help the paid trail crew as this is our section of the trail.
Click on a photo to see the original version. See photo gallery on Facebook (pull-down under 'Trips')
Doris, with past president Marge Fish, president Jean Haigh, and award co-recipient Bill Lyons (Photo by Ken)
Ken crossing a stream at the start of an afternoon walk (Photo by Ken)
© 2018 Montpelier Section of The Green Mountain Club, Inc.
Sun 5 Aug 2018